Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image

Monday, January 16, 2012

IGN Pro Gaming Tournament Recap: IPL 3 In 2 Minutes.



This is a convention for the best players for multiple games from League of Legends to StarCraft II. The competitors take the tournament very seriously as shown by the emotions exhibited throughout the clip. There is a sense of pride and extravagance in their arrivals in limos and their team jerseys. The skills they possess would be developed through time and intensive training, as well as studying their games. With the level of competition at this event the players must pour hours and hours of their days into these games to become the best. What kinds of sacrifices would these players make to become so proficient? Is their dedication reasonable considering prizes and rewards for winning? Would the loss of the social interaction stunt these players? Is the electronic over-stimulation of the games, the televisions, the music, and lights too much? Is it socially acceptable to be a fan of gamers?

16 comments:

  1. I consider myself a "gamer", but after seeing this it's hard to call myself one. The amount of time they have to put in to get to those skill levels must be ridiculous. I love to play xbox, but i can only play now because i have other things to do and don't want to let it control me. The games they are competing in are interesting to me though. When I think of a competition I think sports video games. Being able to play games like that at that high of a level is completely out of my league.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who doesn't play video games, this convention seems a little over the top. These players probably sacrifice mostly everything in their lives to be as good as they are at these games. Their dedication doesn't seem reasonable to me because these games aren't real life-being good at them doesn't really matter. I think it is socially acceptable to be a fan of games to a certain extent. When anything takes over your life, it becomes to much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all the lights and everything for this event are a little too much. Sure, some people take this very seriously and it takes up a lot of their life, but I just do not feel all of this is needed. I can see there being competitions but not this big. In my opinion it would depend on the prize for how much time I would invest in preparing for this. Depending on the amount of money would make the time and effort this people put towards this worth it. I still think something like this is over the top though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These players probably sacrificed a lot to be where they are today. This sacrifice probably seems reasonable to them because they love to do it. And if these players cared enough about social interaction they would find time for it or they would just not have it. It is clear that this would not stunt their playing as seen through the emotion in the video. For the amount of time they put into it the light from the screens probably effects them in some negative ways but that is just a sacrifice that they are making.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting paid to play video games; the 13 year old's dream. Its incredible to amount of money that goes into these kinds of conventions and the video game industry. These games are like giant commercials for their products and I am certain that the tickets are not cheap either. I wonder what sort of skills these players possess to allow them to be so good at video games? I am also curious if these games are even fun at all for the contestants?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you've seen anything in MLG (major league gaming), you'll see these aren't ordinary gamers. I've heard of people dropping out of high school and college just to participate in MLG. They're getting paid much more than most people would expect & it becomes something much more than just a hobby. I am not surprised at all that they are this dedicated. If you're good at something, you love it, and you are offered a lot of money to do it, then it can easily consume your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The people playing in these tournaments have obviously dedicated a portion of their lives to becoming the best they can be at their game of choice. To many it would seem that an event like this is over the top and bordering on ridiculous. An average person thinks of video games as a source of entertainment to be enjoyed after a day of work or to unwind. But gamers on the competitive circuit view video games in an entirely different light. It is just another venue for competition for those who may not be physically talented enough to compete in a sport. To some, participating in these tournaments is the highlight of their year. After putting in the time and energy, this is the place where they are able to showcase everything they've worked for and prove that they are the best at what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The spectacle put on by IGN to celebrate gaming is a great and very appropriate demonstration of how mainstream gaming has become over the last 10 years. I myself am not big into gaming but the show is only this big because there is any audience to accomodate it so I don't think t makes sense to say it is "Too Big". Gamers are a rising breed of stars and it will be interesting to see where they go in the next ten years to come. Whether or not it would be worth it to the people doing it. If they're making a decent living doing what they love what's wrong with that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just like any other professional sport, it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to compete in these events. It may not be healthy for these kids to play these online games as much as they do but if they are good enough to earn money they my as well do so. Obviously these games do not completely sonsume these kids lives as we see them interacting with eachother at the beginning of the video. Although many kids these days do get too caught up in these fantasy games.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In all honesty you have to give them credit for working as hard as they have to reach the level that they have reached. Like stated before, athletes do the same to get to be the best in their respective sport. The only difference is one is good for the body while the other is not. It may be fun to game but this is a bit much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was extremely intense and intimidating. I don't feel it's necessary for a game to become this intense and life consuming. These people probably sacrifice most, if not all of their social life. I'm pretty sure some of their hygiene is also sacrificed. I think that people should do what they love, but too much of anything isn't good. There has to be somewhere to draw the line.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't even know anything like this existed! Or let alone that such a large crowd would go to watch people play video games while competing for an actual prize. The crowd was on their feet cheering for these people they probably don't even know! It was definitely intense and not what I expected after watching several women getting their make up done at the beginning of the video.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Competitive gaming is something i find very interesting. Although not athletically demanding, it takes a lot of work to become this good at any video game. I definitely respect the skills of these pro gamers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this video is really impressive that contains great editing. i find competitive gaming very exciting. but these players seems to be calm enough. they are really masters .

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really no different than professional athletes coming together to play games. The athletes put enormous amounts of time and energy into their training to get the edge over their competition. That's exactly what these gamers do. They train and practice hard to win. However, things like family time, work, and socializing must be given up in order to achieve this skill level, which could be detrimental to these people.

    ReplyDelete