Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Car Enthusiasts



An effective way of examining a society of fans is by viewing commercials related to their obsession. This particular commercial for a Mercedes Benz can tell a great deal about the product, the audience and car enthusiasts in general. Consider the images displayed in this clip and how they are portrayed to the viewers. What appeal is there in this advertisement? Would you label this ad as effective or not and why? The darker joke in this video obviously appeals to sexual tones of society, how does this help promote this particular car? In comparison to other hobbies and fans, how do car lovers compare to these group? How can this hobby be destructive or harmful?

14 comments:

  1. actually, i am a little bit shocked about what this advertisement shows. the first feeling come out is that this advertise may have some negative effect and it is not qualified to be a good ad even this ad is about a car which seems to be a helpful tool for cheating. this ad has some ethical issues in spite of the way involving sex to attract eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone who hears or sees sexual actions is going to look at the screen for this advertisement. It pulls you in with a very powerful image of a wife cheating. It then shows her husband doing what she was doing. The cheating is a dangerous or reckless activity, much like driving in the snow. I would say many car enthusiasts are reckless and can appreciate this commercial. It does a good job of appealing to the thrill seeking car lovers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awful. Mainly because it is supporting adultery, but I mean I'm sure it's a very effective commercial...men want to feel like they can get away with things and this commercial implies that if they get this car, they will get away with cheating. The only way I would say this hobby (loving cars) would be harmful is if you actually take these types of commercials literally or if you just buy a poop-ton of cars - that can't be helpful for anyone's financial situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...also, I just want to say that I feel this commercial says a lot about where our society and it's morals are going...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find the commercial to be quite humorous myself. It definitely shows sexual actions but it does not cross the line. In today's society this is really not that big of a deal. At the end of the day sex sells and its just a part of life. I also like how they made the driver seem like a badass which goes along with cool cars. People who like cars, aka guys, typically like sex, action and badasses and this commerical covers those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is appeal cause there are hot chicks and sex which appeals to many people.I'm not sure i would label it as effective because it didn't really say what is so great about their car other than that it helps to cheat. this commercial doesn't really promote this car in my opinion and the stereotype is that men only like cars and hot women. This hobby can potentially destroy marriages but it really isn't that destructive

    ReplyDelete
  7. Obviously, this commercial is promoting the car's reliability and its ability to handle difficult weather conditions. But getting past the sexual content can be difficult for some audience members. This means that it's probably not that effective of a commercial. It is attractive and clever but in the end, the audience member is thinking about the affair, not the car. It's a funny commercial in a way but also very unethical. It's not something you normally want to associate with a Mercedes Benz. They make classy cars and the action of adultery isn't classy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This commercial immediately grabs your attention with powerful images, sounds, and dialogue. However, this thrusts car lovers and Mercedes fans in a negative light to a certain degree, portraying them as shallow, adultererous thrill-seekers. But, combined with America’s declining morals, I think this could prove to be an effective marketing tool by appealing to the impulsive lust and the increased desire for thrill and pleasure that is becoming more and more prevalent in society.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This commercial plays on secrecy and affairs, which is kind of sad. Those aren't things that advertisers should look to sell their cars with. The appeal in this commercial is being able to get away with whatever you want, which is probably appealing to some people. I do think that Mercedes Benz are usually classified as a classy company and this commercial seems a little trashy to me. This commercial wouldn't appear to car lovers as much as it would to people who have affairs and secrets. I don't think having an obsession with cars is destructive, I actually think it's a healthy hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is dirty, the whole play on cheating on your spouse because you have a car that works in tough weather is interesting to me. I guess it's true sex sells but i'm sure there are other ways to make a commercial that highlights how well this vehicle works in bad weather conditions. I have never seen this on tv so i'm not sure if it was made for internet audiences only who would look it up or if i;m just watching the wrong channels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Besides the fact that the humor of this comercial was founded on adultery, I thought it was quite funny. Because commercials tend to play towards the fantasies of their target audience, I think it says a lot about what the average guy who can afford a Mercedes wants to be seen as: A risk taking, womanizing, badass with smart seductive lines. I don't think this commercial necessarily represents car lovers. I also think being a car hobbyist tends to be non-harmful/destructive to people's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this commercial and how people cheat on their spouse. We can clearly see how good the Benz is straight through the clip. The use of sexual hints are widely use in commercials nowaday. But it does not cross the line.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The car and the adultery didn't really relate in the video, but both were definitely attention grabbers. Sex appeal in commercials are becoming very popular and help sell whatever the object is. I got a good laugh at the end when you think that the husband is coming home to catch his wife in the action, but is actually cheating himself. This commercial plays to fantasies of men.

    ReplyDelete