Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image

Friday, February 10, 2012

Planking

This video is about a recent trend called planking. The objective of the game is for one to lay face down on an unusual object or location while another person takes a picture of them. In this position the person is imitating a wooden plank and wants to stay as still as possible. The fad is all fun and games but as it continues to spread, people are beginning to plank in dangerous places. Which brings up the question, have people taken this fad too far? With the death of an individual, will people begin to realize the dangers of this game? Or will they continue to "plank" and put themselves in these risky situations just for a game? And lastly, how would you feel if you saw a person on the highway planking on a motorcycle or on a car? Do you feel as though their actions could put your own life at risk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjBUUf076bM

13 comments:

  1. I don't see why planking is so popular. It is really just an immature and stupid way to get attention from others. There are much better ways of making yourself noticed. As for planking being "dangerous", this just depends on how far they go. People die doing dumb things all the time so this video doesn't surprised me at all. & If I saw someone planking on a motorcycle I would just be glad that it isn't me who is advertising my stupidity to the rest of the world. I have much safer ways of doing that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a way to attract others' attention, planking is kind of funny. Especially after it becomes a social culture that even celebrities will do it in the show as a way to communicate with audiences. But when planking is related to risk, it is not fun any more...it is not like free rock climbing, that climbing experts challenge themselves in extreme climbing. Instead, it seems more likely to be a behavior in daily life and you try to make yourself dangerous in daily life. It doesn't deserve people dying for it... Maybe my thought is a little consavertive. Whatever, I can regard planking as an real extreme sports..it can only be fun doing it in a safe way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think planking is really funny in some aspects. however, as more and more people choose to show themselves in some dangerous condition. these planking games are not as funny as it was. according to what i saw from Youtube video, i know that planking is actually funny game among people. internet such as Facebook and Youtube stimulate the popularity of planking and urges people to put themselves in danger to show themselves. thus, it is ok for people to have fun but in safe condition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first heard of planking, I thought it was kind of stupid. Laying down and taking a picture? How is that fun? While watching people plank on a moving car is interesting, but there are definitely a lot of risks, as seen in the video. I think it's okay as long as its safe and can't cause harm (such as the guy on the rugby field), but doing it in a dangerous location is risky and a bad idea. Falling to your death just to take a funny picture? That's sure not the way I'd wanna go. While it was really popular at first, the number of "planks" definitely seems to have gone down since the summer so it seems like this fad is quickly going out of the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a huge fan of planking. I think it is one of the dumber ideas of the day and its stupid how fast these trends go by. Some planks i would consider impressive but most aren't even that cool in the first place. When you start taking it too far it's just unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think planking to an extent is okay. This video shows extremes of it which I think go a little too far. Obviously it is not smart to lay on top of a moving car. People should start to realize the possible consequences to what they are doing. If I saw someone planking on the highway I'd probably be nervous for them but then also think that they are really dumb for doing something so dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think planking is a bad for people just trying to create funny pictures. But like everything else, if you make stupid decisions it is likely to lead to something bad. It's horrible that someone died from trying to play along but I don't think planking itself should be judged because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Planking can be very entertaining sometimes. However, when you are taking risks that endanger your life I'm not sure entertainment is really worth it. If the focus would switch away from the danger of the plank to the uniqueness of it I think it would be a much more acceptable form of fun and less criticized by the media.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Planking is fun. Falling ... is also fun. But hitting the ground, not so fun. If people pick the right spot, planking is far from dangerous. I think people who like this kind of "sport" is are just want get the attraction, so this behavior is somehow not meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I first seen "planking", I loled. The idea comes from 2 girls from Taiwan China. They took series of "planking" photos and post them online. After that, "planking" culture expanded. The "planking" actions could be dangerous and cause deadly scenarios. It's really hard to tell if planking is good or bad. however, if people are crossing the line, it's bad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think planking is funny. I've never personally done it. But I don't think taking it to dangerous extremes is necessary or smart. I think its a goofy hobby and enjoy seeing my friends pose on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never understood the craze with planking. After watching this video, I can't believe how people have taken this to such extremes and ended up dying. This is a craze that doesn't deserve the attention.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never did like planking. Honestly, I don't see what's to like about it and the fact that people are starting to take this to dangerous extremes baffles me. I don't see why someone would risk their life for a fad that is so stupid.

    ReplyDelete