Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Bare-Foot Running


This is a video about bare-foot running. This type of running has recently started becoming more and more popular. It is natural and the way we got around before shoes were invented. Today, it seems strange to most people from industrialized countries. Do you think it is strange to see people running without running shoes? Do you think our society would be more accepting of this than other strange hobbies/sports? Will running shoes disappear in the future? How does our culture influence what we see as normal and abnormal? How do the products we use influence our mentality and health?

9 comments:

  1. While I think it is interesting that this guy can run for such long distances barefoot, I don't see the trend catching on. Although he can do it, which is impressive, the majority of runners will likely prefer the comfort of running shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see this ever catching on in the society we live in. There are more reasons to wear expertly engineered shoes for running than to run barefoot, especially for long distances. I thought it was interesting though and if I saw it, yes, I would judge. I don't think it is a cultural thing as much as it is a science thing. Running shoes have been proven to work and I don't see how reverting to primitive ways makes running any better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would definitely be strange to see someone running without shoes because it would be breaking a big social norm. Shoes have become such an essential need for people and I don't see people getting rid of them in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barefoot running is an interesting topic that I had heard about even before viewing this video. To my knowledge, scientists and researchers are still debating the pros and cons of barefoot running. Some studies have shown that is much better on your joints because it is more natural than wearing a shoe that forces you to move a certain way. If researchers came out with concrete evidence that running barefoot was better for you, I think we would see a much larger number of people switching to this method.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that this method will make running shoes disappear simply due to how dirty the streets are. It isn't necessarily a very strange hobby, but it would be a little odd to see someone running down the street without shoes on. If this is healthier for the body, then I don't see a problem with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really do not think shoes will ever disappear. Running barefoot in public, I may see to being a little different but people can do whatever they like so I wouldn't see it as weird. If its healthier, its probably a better habit for people to have but I really don't see it ever catching on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was actually a very interesting video! It was cool to learn about how the Indians can run in this certain way and never be injured. I'm sure that running shoes will never completely go extent, but I can see this trend becoming very popular. They're already making those running shoes that are almost socklike around a foot. Society should be accepting of this because it actually is healthier for a person's body rather than running with running shoes on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was very cool! i am an avid runner and found this very interesting because i have gone to many shops to look for the perfect shoes. I have actually done this but on grass and its kind of invigorating. However i cant see this trend becoming popular since we love our shoes

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is awesome! i really want to try that now. i am a huge fan of natural things and this is one of those things. Don't know if i'd do it on campus but maybe when i go home sometime

    ReplyDelete